Remember the media charm offensive by campaigning Stephen Harper just last month?
The new, accessible Stephen Harper welcomed a pack of journalists over for breakfast in Scarborough this morning. Here’s what it was like.
Yeah, well, election is over. He doesn't need you any more, press corps:
The chill is back on the frosty relations between Stephen Harper and the national press corps.
Following a brief thaw during the federal election campaign, the Prime Minister's Office returned Thursday to a contentious practice of compiling advance lists of media organizations who want to question Harper at news conferences.
When it first instituted the policy two years ago, the PMO said it wanted to preserve decorum and avoid disorder. But critics say the real aim is to allow Harper to control the news agenda.
"It's not done in an objective way, it's done in a subjective way," said Richard Brennan of the Toronto Star, president of the parliamentary press gallery.
"He takes people's names and picks and chooses the people he wants to ask questions."
The policy was ditched during the five-week election campaign as Harper mounted a charm offensive aimed at softening his public image.
But it was back in force Thursday following a cabinet shuffle that gave rise to the prime minister's first post-election news conference on Parliament Hill.
Fool you once media, shame on, shame on him. Fool you, you shouldn't get fooled again. And again. And again.
But hey, at least he bought you breakfast. Recommend this Post on Progressive Bloggers