Saturday, September 17, 2022

Eating on the road: A smashburger in Muskoka

I'm always on the lookout for a good smashburger in my travels, and during my summer visit to Muskoka I was pointed to the Fare Food Co. It's a food truck located behind a Shell gas station on the way into Port Carling, and if you didn't know it was there you would never think to stop. Even knowing it was there, I wandered around a bit before finding in in a clearing behind the station.


They also have well-recommended chicken sandos, including a Nashville hot, but I was here for beef and ordered a double smash cheeseburger with fried and the obligatory diet coke. They promised to bring it to me when ready, and I found a seat on a picnic table up a small hill in a closed-in picnic area.



They cooked it fresh and brought it up to me when ready and I dug in. It was hot, beefy, cheesy and like a good smashburger will be, messy. It certainly filled me up. As far as smashbugers go it was fine, not spectacular but satisfied my craving. I'm not a fry person; they were just OK. With the Muskoka tax it wasn't cheap ($18 plus tax), but that's how it goes in cottage country.

Were I to go back I would likely try the Nashville hot chicken sammy but I don't think I'll get the chance. They were a summer pop-up and have closed for at least the season, if not forever, as they focus on a catering business in Toronto.

What will be the next great Muskoka smashburger? Or will Muskokans need to invest in oversized spatulas and start smashing their own burgers? Time will tell.



Recommend this Post on Progressive Bloggers

No comments: