Saturday, June 03, 2023

Eating off the Hill: Sophie's Cosmic Cafe in Kitsilano

After my train journey back in April and a few days in the Comox Valley, I had some time in Vancouver my flight back to Ottawa. 

It was a chance to have lunch with an old friend and, rather than dining downtown, he coaxed me out to Kitsilano for lunch at a popular neighbourhood spot: Sophie's Cosmic Cafe.

I got there first thanks to Uber and grabbed a booth; I had been worried it would be hard to get a table but while it was busy, I got there before the lunch for got a spot no problem. 

They have an extensive brunch menu but, as you know, I'm not a big breakfast guy, and had enough eggs on the train to last me for awhile. The lunch menu is a little more limited, but the Sophie's Cosmic Workout Burger calls my name. It's described as a 6oz lean beef patty topped with mushrooms, bacon, tomato, lettuce, mayo, with your choice of cheese. Served with fries and house salad.

I eyeball their fries on another table and decide just salad -- Caesar -- for me please. My friend gets the same burger but passes on the salad for fries-only, so I tell the waitress that he's welcome to my ration of fries. He also gets a milk shake, which he says they are known more. I stick with Diet Coke.

Service is efficient and we don't need to wait too long for our meals to arrive. I am advised to report the milk shake is excellent. The Diet Coke was, well, it was Diet Coke.


The salad was creamy and garlicky and I certainly didn't need the fries to go with it. The burger was cooked well, the bacon crispy and mushrooms sauteed nicely. Lunch filled me up so I didn't need to buy any disappointing ball park food at the Canadians matinee at the Nat that afternoon.

All in all, a good lunch with good company at a local greasy spoon. Perhaps a smidge more bougie than your typical greasy spoon (shows more in the breakfast menu) but on point for the Kits neighbourhood.



Recommend this Post on Progressive Bloggers

No comments: