Thursday, December 21, 2006

Why they dropped the "Progressive" but kept the Conservative

*I'm going to have to subscribe to the Penticton Western news. Stockwell Day's constituency columns are fast becoming must-reads. First there was this, then this, and now this (via Bob):

Aaaaanyway, it appears that local libs now send bits and pieces of my local columns to their favourite spear-chuckers down east who are quick to unleash a volley of indignation, which makes for good fodder back here at home.


I wonder, does he literally mean people who throw spears (do we have any javelin tosses in the LPC?)? Is he perhaps unaware that he used what is commonly known as a racial slur? I find it hard to believe that would be his intent. Maybe he was referring to the chucking of verbal spears? Even so, what a ridiculous choice of words. I mean, who uses expressions like that?

*And then there's Stock's boss, Steve Harper, in one of his year-end interviews. He was asked if he's ever gone for a ride on his wife Laureen's motorcycle (via Michelle):


"You've got to worry about image. I don't want to be on the back with my wife driving."


Classy. We know who the man of that house is, don't we? (As an aside, this even made the Newark Star Ledger, that's weird. It seems Reuters put a piece on the wire)


I suspect though that Stevie will be sleeping on the couch tonight. Wonder if the couch at 24 Sussex folds out?

Recommend this Post on Progressive Bloggers

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spearchucker comment is beyond the pale, and very offensive.

I can live with Harpers jibe.

Anonymous said...

He might have been referring to "spear carriers" rather than "spear chuckers". Who are considered minor actors in a play.

But as for me, (being a blissfully ignorant minority I guess), I didn't even know that 'spear chucker' is a racist term.

Or he could have been referring to the same thing this person is:

http://www.abcfp.ca/publications_forms/BCFORmagazine/pdf/FORUM-2005-3.pdf

"spear chuckers enter into a debate and throw spears at the process"

Do you know what I really think about all this... read the next paragraph in Day's column:

"Fair game. That’s life in the cut and thrust of ‘gotcha’ politics. But out-of-context reporting limits the chance for reasoned debate and hopeful solutions which otherwise could emerge in our town halls or news pages on critical issues like global warming."

As well, I suspect the comment by Harper was a joke. Just like the one about him not seducing his wife...

Anonymous said...

I think that's what Day meant.."spear carrier;" I only know spear-chucker as a racist term from American television. I've never heard anyone use it here.

It would be consistent for Stockwell (with the room-temperature IQ) to get something like that wrong.

Please, please, please Harper...unmuzzle the rest of your cabinet. This kind of stuff is just too good to keep hidden.