Wednesday, April 04, 2007

It's new if the party says it's new, Winston

What's this then, signs of independent thought in the Conservative caucus? Don't tell Steve...

Fisheries Minister Hearn questions use of slogan 'Canada's new government'

ST. JOHN'S, N.L. (CP) - More than a year after Prime Minister Stephen Harper was elected, his government continues to sell itself as "Canada's new government."

But one federal cabinet minister admitted Wednesday he avoids the oft-used partisan slogan and wonders why it's in every government news release.

"I very seldom use the term," Fisheries Minister Loyola Hearn, Newfoundland's representative in cabinet, said after a military funding announcement.

"I asked that question actually some time ago: why do we still call ourselves the new government? If it happens to be written in the script . . . I skip it, and if I'm doing my own stuff, I don't use it."

(more)

Recommend this Post on Progressive Bloggers

No comments: