Sunday, February 04, 2018

Eating up the Hill: BBQ Chicken with Fries and Coleslaw

Another new menu item in the Hill cafeteria menu rotation that caught me eye this week was the BBQ Chicken with Fries and Coleslaw. It was a dish I had decidedly mixed feelings on, and likely won't be one of my regulars.


I'll start with the positives. It was a chicken breast and not one of the cheaper cuts like a leg, so points there. And it was a meaty chicken breast at that. And they allowed me to sub-out the fries for kettle chips without charge. And I do like the chips. It was a good amount of food for under $8 so I didn't leave hungry, and it was a bit more balanced a meal with the veggie slaw.

That was the good. As for the rest, the chicken was rather on the dry side. I know, it's a cafeteria, but the sauce was very much needed. Was also needed as the chicken had little seasoning to give it flavour on its own.

And the only thing that made it BBQ chicken was the BBQ sauce; clearly, the chicken had been baked, not grilled. And speaking of the sauce, its was more of an American style sauce (molasses instead of brown sugar), than the Canadian style ketchupy-sweet sauce I prefer.

And while some may prefer the vinegarette slaw, I like it creamy myself.

All in all, a good amount of food that doesn't deliver in the execution.


Recommend this Post on Progressive Bloggers

No comments: