Saturday, July 30, 2022

Eating on the road: Smoque N’ Bones in Toronto

 Regular readers will know I enjoy some good Texas-style BBQ, spoiled as I was for other options after a few trips to Austin for the real deal during my tech journalism days. So when looking at dining options during my trip to Toronto, BBQ was on my list and I decided to try Smoque N’ Bones on Queen West with a friend.

Going with a friend is important. While the company is good, menu-wise it opens up many more options. On your own, you’re likely to be confined to a sandwich or maybe one meat and side, l’est you go home with a metric ton of leftovers. While I may have ordered the sampler for two if I was on my own and risked the judgement of the wait staff and onlookers, when there are two dinners such issues are avoided.

Priced at $89, the Sampler for Two is described on the menu as: Choice of 3 SmoQued Meats: 1/2 Rack, 1/2 lb Beef Brisket, 1/2 lb Pulled Pork, 1/2 lb SmoQued Turkey, 2 Links of SmoQued Sausage, or 1/2 Chicken and any 3 sides.

We opted for the brisket (wet), pulled pork, and sausage as our meats, with the macaroni and cheese, corn on the cob (after confirming it was served in two pieces) and corn bread.

It was all too much for our little table; thankfully, it wasn’t busy so we requisitioned a neighbouring table for overflow, and it arrived very interestingly-plated on a long board. (I nabbed one sausage link before I remembered to take the picture.


It was a heaping pile of meat. The sausage was just OK, though the fried onion accompaniment was a nice touch. The pulled pork was my friend’s choice, as I usually find it dry. But clearly I haven’t been having good pulled pork. This was juicy and moist, and the bark was truly delicious. The brisket was also amazing, juicy, close your eyes to savour.

On the sides, I passed on the corn bread. The Mac & cheese was cheesy, and was good but not quite excellent. We had the corn last so it was cold (our fault) but it was excellent – fresh and cheesy and smoky.


All in all, an excellent BBQ experience and well worth the visit if you’re in the area – just come hungry and bring a friend.

Recommend this Post on Progressive Bloggers

No comments: