Sunday, September 01, 2024

Eating on the road: Alberta Cheesesteak at Palomino Smokehouse in Calgary

 I visited Calgary in the spring and, before heading up the tower I popped into Palomino Smokehouse for a late lunch. It was a large and casual spot which seemed vaguely Western themed and I was there because I had a hankering for some BBQ.

I decided to order the Alberta Cheesesteak because, hey, when in Alberta. It was smoked brisket, sauteed onions and papers smothered in cheese sauce. It's hard to order BBQ on the road since it's by weight and I don't want to bring a bunch of pulled pork back to my hotel.

I could choose two sides, and I went with the Kentucky Bourbon Apples and the simple greens because I am not here for all those carbs. And the apples are not a side you see just everywhere.


It was indeed a simple salad, almost deconstructed, but it was good -- the picked onion was especially tasty. The apples were underwhelming. I didn't really get the bourbon and, to me, desert apples need cinnamon. 

On to the sandwich. The bread held up well which is very important for a sandwich of this sort. Brisket was tasty and generous of portion. The cheese sauce though, sadly, was a miss. It just wasn't that cheedy. Definitely not a Philly cheesesteak. This is a hotly debated topic and it sounds cheap I know, but for a Philly you gotta go with the whiz. That tang makes all the difference.

Anyway, it was a good lunch. Here's me looking down on Calgary. The next night I had steak.



Recommend this Post on Progressive Bloggers

No comments: