Sunday, June 04, 2006

Jurassic Park meets airport art

After two weeks on the West Coast I’m back in the T-Dot, but while waiting for the first flight of my journey home yesterday, in the waiting area of the Comox Valley Airport, I pulled out the digital camera to snap a few pics of what has to be among the best examples of airport art I’ve seen in my travels.

On loan from the Courtenay and District Museum (a visit to which should be part of any trip to the Comox Valley) and suspended from the ceiling are two prehistoric dinosaurs. Are they still called that if they fly? Maybe not, but I’m not a paleontologist. I am impressed that I spelled paleontologist correctly on my first try though.


One is an Quetzalcoatlus, an toothless pterosaurs that had an estimated wingspan of up to 39 feet. I like the contrast of looking up at this ancient, giant flying beast while waiting to board a little Beech 1900D.


The other one is a more fun story. It’s an Elasmosaur, of which the remains of one were found in the local area by a local man and his daughter, amateur fossil sleuths, in a local river in 1988. It was the first Elasmosaur found in British Columbia. In its day, the Elasmosaur was about 46 feet in length and weighed 2.2 tons.

Recommend this Post on Progressive Bloggers

1 comment:

Kelly Murdock said...

ah, the Comox Valley Airport.... thanks for the reminder of home ;)

- Kelly