Thursday, December 04, 2008

My review of last night

I’ve been very busy lately but I know you’re all waiting for my review of last night, and I don’t want to keep you waiting any longer…

…I really enjoyed the sneak preview of Valkyrie I attended at the Scotia Theatre. If you’re not familiar with this movie, which will be out Dec. 25th, it starts Tom Cruise and it tells the story of the last major coup plot against Adolf Hitler by the Germany Army in World War Two.

I’m a history buff and a war movie buff so I was looking forward to this movie. My only reservations were to do with it being a Tom Cruise vehicle. He did very well though, I thought.

The movie seemed pretty close to the true events and did a very good job of building the tension even though, of course, we all knew how the story ended. I was kind of hoping maybe they’d knock-off Hitler this time but, alas, he still escaped the explosion.

But it was a very good, tense drama about a group of patriots, although not all perfect people to be sure, who feel their country has been hijacked and is being led into the abyss, and the only way they can save their country is to risk their lives by rising up against their government.

I’ll give it 5/5 stars.

P.S. Excellent production values.

Recommend this Post on Progressive Bloggers

3 comments:

Metro said...

The current crisis'd make a heck of a movie, eh?

"... a group of patriots [and a Bloc of ... non-patriots?], although not all perfect people to be sure, who feel their country has been hijacked and is being led into the abyss, and the only way they can save their country is to risk their [political] lives by rising up against their government."

No argument. This country just got hijacked by Harper and, of all people, the Governor General.

I hope Her Majesty chews Jean a new one when they next have tea.

Eugene Forsey Liberal said...

And do they succeed? (Don't answer that one.) Well, if they didn't, it must be because back in the 1940s production values were so bad. Adn Stauffenberg was a sight-impaired fool. I mean, thinking he could put together a diverse group of citizens to remove a vicious ruler from power? Who did this guy think he was? Didn't he know it was pointless, he was useless & defeated? How dare he try to stop the glorious leader?!

I'm now going to plug my brain into the mass media Propagandatron 2000 and repeat the "correct" talking points: "Coup! Traitors! Quebeckers (yuck)!" (parliamentary democracy? wha' dat?)

Phew. Thank goodness I live in a country notable for peace (ask nathan cullen), order (ask anyone) & good government (38% can't be wrong!). Long live irresponsible government!

Jeff said...

I assure you I was seeing no parallels between the movie at current events. None at all...