I could go on a rant about how the Conservative government building a $2 million fake lake inside the G20 media centre is a ridiculous waste of taxpayer dollars, particularly for a government that claims a reputation for fiscal prudence while running-up the biggest deficits in Canadian history. But it would be too easy. And besides, unless you’re a member of the Harper cabinet legally obligated to half-heartedly defend this stupidity, you agree with me already. Even Harper mentor and former Conservative campaign manager Tom Flanagan, asked to defend fakelake last night on Power and Politics, said flat-out “I can’t” and asked for the next question.
Therefore, I’m going to choose to see the fakelake as half full and look at this latest Conservative boondoggle as $2 million in economic stimulus for Canada’s comedians. Think of it as an Canada’s comedy action plan. In that spirit, I’ve scoured the interwebs and Twitter for the best in fakelake-related humour. Some is mine, some I’ll attribute, some I’ll shamelessly copy from others because they didn’t use digital locks.
- (JeffJedras) Look at it this way. #fakelake costs less than 9MGS (minutes of G8/20 security). It's practically a bargain!
- (JeffJedras) EXCLUSIVE! Video of $2 million Conservative #fakelake! Must credit Bourque!
- (Jeff Jedras) Oh, so it's a $2 million reflecting pool? I take it back, that's entirely different. Apologies.
- (From a friend in BC) I hope they start calling this scandal WaterG8
- (Jeff Jedras) Will half-baked #fakelake take the cake and be Harper's WaterG8? I don't wanna hate, but that’d be great
- (Jeff Jedras) Wanted: vendor to supply mosquitoes, black flies for g20 media centre. Contract value $1.5 million. Ask for Tony.
- (JeffJedras) If we're modelling #g20 media centre after boat show, will there be #bustyhookers beside new boats in the #fakelake?
- (JeffJedras) "Siegfried, I know we wanted to go to Turkey for vacation this year. But I just saw this #fakelake on TV, so how about Canada?"
- (OttGuy) #G20 to feature less bank tax talk, more talk about fixing Greece's wild spending. I suspect a fake Atlantis idea from Flaherty.
- (OttGuy) Harper rejects calls for more funding for arid poverty stricken Africa. "What do they expect us to do for them, build them a #fakelake?"
- (OttGuy) Truly Canadian sounds will be piped into #fakelake for international journalists. Loons, wolves and audio of all of John Baird's hissy fits.
- OttGuy) They wanted to build dykes around #fakelake but the #CPC were concerned this might offend some of their base.
- (PMOHarper)If I had 2 million dollars (If I had 2 million dollars) I'd buy me a lake (but not a real lake, that's cruel)
- (PMO Harper) It's not a #fakelake, it's a reflecting pool. Muskoka is world renowned for its reflecting pools.
- (ChrisInKW)It's a much-needed shot in the arm for the #fakelake industry... er...
- (confute) I hope Peter MacKay's #fakedog isn't allowed in the #fakelake
- (ThePMSaidSo) You might be mocking the #fakelake now, but when I send out that water-skiing squirrel, you'll all be thanking Big Steve.
- (Lucers) I assume there is some kind of tax credit for first time homeowners who want to have a #fakelake put in?
- (unknown) If they're going to spend $2 billion on an artificial lake, the least they can do is pony up a few bucks more for a Splash Zone
- (Uranowski) Stephen Harper announces $1 Billion Fake Glacier plan to combat Global Warming.
- (unknown) just because we have so many real lakes doesn't mean we can't be leaders in the artificial waterbody industry
- (unknown) this will be a showcase 4 the Canadian #fakelake industry, who knows what business will be drummed up from this event
- (greg_elmer) zut! let's be proper Canadians please. #fauxlac #fakelake
LA Times: Canada spends nearly $2 million on fake lake inside G-20 and G-8 media center
Huffington Post: Canada Builds Fake Lake For G-8 Summit: $2 Million Expense Draws Criticism