Thursday, January 09, 2020

Eating off the Hill: Burgers n' Fries Forever is expensively meh

I like me a good burger. Particularly ones I have made myself with fresh ground beef and assorted secret ingredients. But when it's outside grilling season on my shared condo patio, I'm forced to venture elsewhere for burger sustenance.

Over the past decade or so, a mid-tier category of burger has developed between the fast food burgers (Harvey's is a favourite) and a restaurant burger, and that's what I call the $10 burger. Places like Five Guys or Burger's Priest. Unfortunately, the former is a long trek for me. As for the latter, it is opening its first Ottawa location soon at Bank and Heron, so looking forward to that.

In the interim though, at the end of the holidays I ventured up the street to Burgers n' Fries Forever, which I would put in that $10 burger category and is a local brand with a few locations. I've been there before and it never really impressed. Went back hoping for different but, sadly, more of the same.


For about $19 taxes-in I got the  "The Melt", which is a 5 oz beef patty, swiss cheese, American cheese, beef bacon, and Texas BBQ sauce. Along with onion rings and a can of pop. Nearly $20 was too much, particularly for a burger than underwhelmed.

All their burgers are Halal, but that's not the issue -- I had a number of delicious Halal burgers while in Scarborough this summer. But this patty was small and bland, bringing nothing to the table. The cheese and bacon were fine, but I would have liked the bun to have some/more toast. It was missing something. The onion rings felt processed and uniform. The chipotle dipping sauce was the one standout.

Open soon, Burger's Priest! Until then, I need to plan a trek to the Trainyards for Five Guys.

Recommend this Post on Progressive Bloggers

No comments: