Monday, April 13, 2020

Eating in quarantine: Indian food Easter from Dosa & Curries

As it came to dinner time on Easter Sunday and no turkey having appeared in my larder,. I turned to Door Dash and went in search of Indian food, hoping for a bit more spice than my last attempt. I suceeded to an acceptable level in ordering from another Centretown Indian spot. Dosa & Curries.

Well reviewed on the online delivery app, I was sidetracked by googling the difference between regular Chicken Biryani and Hyperbad Chicken Biryani. I think it means that the chicken is cooked with the rice instead of being added later already cooked, and decided that was worth the extra dollar. I also ordered Chicken 65 (also took a google), garlic naan (my go-to naan) and corn soup.

I got a phone call not long after placing the order than they were out of the corn soup (one of my favourite Chinese dishes, had been looking forward to sampling the Indian version) so I agreed to sub in a chicken soup instead.

When I met the driver and took posession of my meal as safely as possible, he also gave me a small coffee cup and said this was "for the soup." I was puzzled why it was such a small cup of soup for $7 and, as I headed towards my door, why it was cold, but carried on upstairs and, after washing my hands, opened the cup and peered inside with curiosity.

A cold, thick off white clear cold broth seemed the weirdest chicken soup I'd ever seen. Taking a tentative sip it was immediately clear it wasn't soup at all, but was sweet and fruity. Another few seconds and I realized it was mango lassi, which they must have given me as a sorry we didn't have your soup choice available.

So, that solved that mystery and was a nice gesture. Thank you, Dosa & Curries. And opening up the paper bag, I found there was indeed a soup-sized cup of chicken soup -- to which I added some frozen corn for fun.


Meal plated, I sat down to eat. The biryani was flavourful and had several pieces of bone-in chicken which, while I am annoyed at having to deal with the bones, biryani purists tell me is the key to the most flavourful biryani. At least it was cut into pieces recognizable to my Western eyes and not hacked randomly as is often the case with food from this region. I did dispose of the hard boiled egg though. The rice had enough spice to be noticeable, but not in your face.

I enjoyed the Chicken 65 to the point that I have leftover biryani but not leftover Chicken 65. Again, some spice but subtle; I was slightly worried based on my googling but it was quite tasty. The naan was well garlicked. The soup was probably the spiciest of the dishes, and I have some left for lunch. Finished off the lassi though; very tasty.

A successful Indian food Easter in quarantine. Happy Easter to all.

Recommend this Post on Progressive Bloggers

No comments: