Saturday, September 21, 2024

Eating on the Road: McKiernan in Montreal

On past trips to Montreal I've had the pleasure of dining at Joe Beef and their sister restaurant, Liverpool House, and on a day trip this summer I had the opportunity to knock the third location in this mine-restaurant empire off my list: McKiernan RĂ´tisserie.

It's in a converted old industrial building in a more suburban area of Montreal, so it was a trip I saved until I had a car. And I'm unlikely to drive to Montreal again, not because of the restaurant but because driving in the city was not a fun day for me. I'm not a city driver.


But I digress. While still offering some bougie options, McKiernan was a more laid-back vibe than Liverpool House and Joe Beef, giving more the feel of a lunch counter for people working in the area. And while not working nearby we were, indeed, there for lunch.

There's a small list of menu offerings but with quite the price range. It starts with bread and butter for $6 (Mom was surprised to see this charged for but they must have been very fancy bread and butter) all the way up to evening prime rib roast for $98.


Going in I was tempted by the schnitzel bomba or the rotisserie chicken, but we would go in another direction when he heard the daily specials.

But first, for an appy we shared the three piece chicken croquetas. They came with a slice of pickets on top which we discarded, because neither of us like pickles. There was a little sauce but not much. They were filled with finely ground were dry and one note -- I deemed them OK, Mom said I was more than welcome to the second declining an offer to split. They were missing something, more sauce and flavour. Maybe it just really needed the discarded pickles. Anyway, just meh.


Anyway, for our mains we both got the prime rib sandwich. A tasty and accessible way to get at that $98 evening prime rib without paying near that price -- I think the sandwich was around $15 which was solid value for the amount of beef, topped with carmelized onions on a sesame seed bun. We both enjoyed it muchly.


Added a side of fries to share. They were fries. What can I tell you?


All in all, I'm glad I finally made it here but I don't think I'll go out of my way to make the suburban trek on future, non-car journeys to Montreal. 

Recommend this Post on Progressive Bloggers

No comments: