Saturday, September 28, 2024

Eating on the road: Novita Italian Cuisine in Markham

 When work brings me to Scarborough I often stay in a hotel just over the Steeles border in Markham and, on a recent stay at the Delta near Highway 404 and Highway 7, I walked down the road to try dinner at Novita Italian Cuisine.

It kind of gives the vibe of a chain without being a chain; maybe this is inevitable when you're in a new build in a new strip mall in a suburban area. But it was upscale Italian with a lot of seafood options so I gave it a chance and went with the Lobster risotto. 

It's described on the menu as half a lobster sautéed with scallops, shrimp, smoked salmon on a bed of rosé sauce risotto.Sounds delicious, and I came hungry.


It was delicious, tasty and flavourful and I has happy with the portion. But here's the thing -- it was messy. Very messy. The lobster meat was still in the shell which was buried in the saucy risotto and there was no way to elegantly extract it. I had to use my hands and the provided tools to extract the lobster meat (at which I am no expert) leaving my hands a saucy mess and needing all the provided napkins -- if anyone was watching I must have been quite the sight.

As I said it was a tasty meal but this did sour me on the experience. For a $40 entree, they could have served it without the shell.

Recommend this Post on Progressive Bloggers

No comments: