Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Agreeing with people

A busy day at work today left no time for blogging, and I've a busy night of hockey ahead of me tonight as well (go Canucks!) so let me be lazy and point to some posts by other bloggers today that I agree with.

*Firstly, I agree wholeheartedly with Ed Hollett. Stephane, Denis Coderre needs a new job and the Liberal party needs a new defence critic.

First, there was Coderre's embarrassing verbal jousting with Gen. Rick Hillier. Now, Denis is floating the idea of building a Canadian Forces base in New Brunswick solely for native soldiers. I mean, what the heck is that about? Did he run this past anyone before flapping his mouth? What would this achieve? Does he know anything about the military?

With all that is going on in the world we need a competent defence critic. It pains me to say it, but Coderre is succeeding in making Gordon O'Connor look good.

*Secondly, I agree with Glyn Evans. Conservatives, if you want to abolish the gun registry, then abolish it. And if you can't get the votes to do that, accept the will of the majority and keep it in place and effective, and heck, maybe even enhance its effectiveness.

But playing games by further extending the registration deadline is a slap in the face to the police that use it daily because you're making registry less effective, it's a slap in the face to taxpayers because you're spending more money on a program you're purposely making useless, and it's a slap in the face to democracy because you're circumventing the will of the majority of MPs that want the registry in place and effective.

Put-up or shut-up.

*Thirdly, I agree with Dan Arnold. Belinda Stronach will be missed by Blogging Tories the most. I've always defended Stronach because I've felt the attacks on her were (not unfair, that word is verboten, let's say...undeserved) but her most lasting contribution to public life has been providing oodles of blogging material. I wish her well, and hope she'll stay active pushing the issues she was passionate about, such as one member one vote and encouraging more women to enter political life.

And speaking of blogging material, I look forward to seeing how all those Conservative commenters that have always derided Stronach as useless will now spin her departure as a mortal loss and blow to the Liberal Party.

Recommend this Post on Progressive Bloggers

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Belinda probably did the party some good, actually.

Let's see how many women executives she appoints.