Thursday, May 05, 2022

Dispatches from the front: A surrender in the chip war of 2022?

 

A few weeks ago, news broke that the standoff over pricing between Frito-Lay and Loblaw that had stripped chip shelves bare at Loblaws, Superstore, Independent Grocers and Shoppers had ended. I asked, tongue in cheek, who won?

After a recent visit to my local Shoppers, the winner was clear. And I don't think it was Canada's largest grocer -- who still owe me my gift card for fixing the bread market.

The heart of the dispute was that Frito-Lay wanted to raise prices and Loblaw thought their proposed increases were not justified by increased costs. So, for a rare occassion, I sided with Loblaw. Stick it to the man, other man.

Well, keeping in mind Loblaw already marks up groceries at shoppers a lot, a bag of Lays went from $4.20 before the war to $4.90 now. Looks like a win for big chip to me, unless they wanted an even bigger increase.

On the good news front, peace in our time has brought us Flaming Hot Cool Ranch Doritos. What a time to be alive.

Recommend this Post on Progressive Bloggers

No comments: