Thursday, December 23, 2021

Eating on the road: Seafood with a harbour view at Toscano's Mediterranean Grill

While I have let up somewhat on my don't eat seafood unless you can smell the salt air rule over the years, I do still like to maximize my seafood opportunities when on either of the coasts. And finding myself in the Comox Valley for Christmas, dinner at Toscano's Mediterranean Grill for some good West Coast seafood was on the menu. You can even see the Comox Harbour out the window -- when it's not pitch black so early in the evening...

There were some interesting pasta and other grill options on the menu, but as discussed, I was here for seafood. For my starter I went with the Lemon Chili Garlic Prawns, described on the menu as Wild-caught red prawns sautéed in chili, garlic, and lemon butter.


Topped with microgreens, they were served in a sizzling skillet, which kept them piping hot as I worked my way through. The lemon wedge was hidden by the greens so I didn't see (and use) it until I was half way through. While well-cooked and flavorful, I would have liked a bit more chili heat. Still, an excellent starter.

For my main, while I was tempted by some seafood pasta, I went for a more fish-forward main: Pan-Seared Steelhead, described on the menu as Fresh steelhead with polenta, grilled vegetables, carrot puree, orange caper beurre blanc, Eatmore Sprouts microgreens.


Very nicely plated, and a good serving of fish. My only down-note would be that the veg was a bit too charred (ie, burnt) in some places. Otherwise an excellent dish. The fish was cooked nicely, flaky with a nice sear. Tasty sauce. For me the surprise standout was the polenta, that was so creamy and delicious with an excellent toast on top. Every bite was delicious.

Will definitely be eating more fish before I leave.

Dairy Queen blizzard for dessert not pictured. 

Recommend this Post on Progressive Bloggers

No comments: